April 28th, 2015 Not Wasting Away

April 28th, 2015 Not Wasting Away

Two different people, independent of one another, said the exact same phrase to me today, "You're wasting away to nothing." What a horrible phrase! For one, it isn't true. Second, well--it's just a horrible sounding phrase! The translation: You've lost a considerable amount of weight. Great job. Aren't you about at the point of maintenance? In my opinion, judging from your appearance, you're at an optimal/healthy weight, right now.

Upon embarking on this turnaround from relapse/regain, I was determined to not focus on a number. This hasn't been a quest to reach 230 again, although I reserve the right to be thrilled when I do. The point is, my healthiest weight may or may not be 230. My goal is to reach a healthy weight, whatever that is and dedicate my life to living within the boundaries of my successful recovery, each and every day.

My buddy Jon in Wisconsin said it best, "The time you spend losing the weight is short compared to your goal of maintaining for the rest of your life." Okay--you know what? That might not be a quote, likely paraphrasing, but that was the point. And until he said it, I hadn't thought about it in those terms. And by the way, Jon just crossed over the 200 pounds lost mark. Congrats Jon!

I'm close to the point of saying, enough! All of my clothing sizes are back where they were at my lowest previous weight and that's a decent indicator. Still, I want to evaluate how I feel in the next 10 to 15 pounds and then make a decision about the transition into maintenance mode. Perhaps at 6'3" it is about 230, I don't know. I still think it's interesting that I basically pulled that number out of the air when I first started losing weight in 2008 and it actually was about right. I had zero experience to draw from in making the guess, just intuition I suppose.

With additional workouts, specifically weight training, who knows? I might end up at an optimal 240 or 250 one of these days. As someone recently suggested in the comments section, it truly becomes more about overall fitness, less about anything else.

I certainly don't want to waste away to nothing! 

----------------------
I was the "celebrity bingo caller" at Woodlands Elementary Bingo/Raffle Night, tonight. This marks the third or fourth year for my involvement with this annual event. It's one of those things where I may not see quite a few of the people again until next time. I remember a couple of years ago, after regaining a significant amount, how I didn't really want to be there because I was full of embarrassment and shame for the regain. But you know what? They've always treated me well and never any different, regardless of my size/appearance.

As I study the inner workings of me on many of these internal struggles, I realize how I've been the biggest judge all along. And any perception to the contrary was simply me projecting my own feelings onto others without their knowledge. 

I hurried from the elementary school gymnasium in order to get home for my weekly teleconference group support call. Usually I'm accompanied by Life Coach Gerri as a co-facilitator, but she had a big conference on her schedule this week. It was a good call, although I tend to go too long--and I did tonight. My lacking in the time management department applies to most everything I do, it seems. I felt bad about going long, simply because people have schedules--things to do, places to go--I must be more considerate.

The extra fourteen minutes on the line tonight was just enough for me to put my dinner and the Y too close together. I made the decision to exercise with a brisk 2.7 mile walk at the trail instead of my usual YMCA visit. Most of the group participants seemed to be okay with the slightly longer than normal discussions. Still, I must continue learning the art of brevity. I get super passionate about this stuff, as you might have deduced. Discussing the ins and outs of what many of us are experiencing can quickly and easily turn into a long conversation.

I'm taking vacation days from the radio station Wednesday and Thursday in an effort to organize several things I'm currently working on--things I've allowed to become sources of stress--and the stress isn't because of the things, rather, my handling/procrastination of those things. I've created stress and now, I'm dealing with it head on instead of eating my way through it! That's progress for a first class emotional/stress eater, I promise you!

My Tweets Today:




















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Winning n Loser is proudly powered by blogger.com