This weekend didn't go quite as planned, but that happens. I made needed adjustments and made it through in fine form. It was a really good weekend in a lot of ways. I feel strong.
I've written extensively about the difference abstinence from sugar has made in my life. I'm serious when I say it is the single most important nutritional decision I've ever made. It's been a life changer. Turning off the "binge switch," receiving a peace and calm like I've never known, is very real. Before I gave it an honest attempt, I listened to people share their amazing experience, I read blogs and articles all describing the benefits. I didn't fully appreciate any of it until I experienced it first hand.
My sugar abstinence is just a few days shy of a year old. My commitment only gets stronger each day. I was eating lunch recently with a loved one who ordered a dessert and then told me how horrible they felt eating it in front of me, because "I know you can't have any." I assured them it was perfectly okay and their dessert wasn't bothering me in the least.
The truth is, If I wanted it, and I didn't mind sacrificing everything important to me, I could have it. I've worked too hard turning my relapse and regain around to give it all back, again. And it's that kind of importance level that will help keep me in successful recovery.
I don't want it. And it's not about will power. I've written this before--and it's very true: Will power is only used when you're resisting something you desperately want. If you don't want it--with zero desire, will power isn't employed. I don't eat broccoli, ever. I tried it one time. It isn't will power that keeps me away from broccoli. I don't like it and I don't want it--that's what keeps me away.
When I see sugar, I see poison. It doesn't take will power for me to resist ingesting poison. All it takes is knowing that it's poison to me. It isn't poison to everyone, mind you, but for me, yes...it is, very much.
I wouldn't dare trade what I've found for all the Snickers Bars on the planet. You could eat the most decadent dessert in the world, right in front of my face and it wouldn't bother me in the least. People bring donuts and cinnamon rolls to work occasionally--doesn't phase me. Girl Scout Cookies--FREE Girl Scout Cookies lived in our kitchen at work for the longest time before somebody finished them off or threw them away, I don't know which--but I do know I faced them each and every day as I prepared my breakfast and lunch in that kitchen and not once did I have a twinge of struggle toward them. Each day I abstain, my commitment grows stronger.
I'm always delighted when I run across someone else experiencing the same life changing effects of sugar abstinence. Recently, a friend posted a link to the blog www.300poundsdown.com on my Facebook wall. It was a link to this post:
http://www.300poundsdown.com/2015/04/the-power-is-returning.html
I enjoyed reading every single word of her post. The enthusiasm--the sheer excitement she expresses because of her experience, was a most wonderful read. Her experience with abstinence from sugar mirrors mine down to the letter. I immediately asked for her permission to share it here and add her blog to my blog roll along the left hand side of the page. Holly got back with me today and gave an enthusiastic yes! I hope you'll read her post. It's beautifully written.
I did more weather coverage at the radio station today. Just when I thought I might need to employ a Plan B for exercise, the storms moved on, replaced with a cool calm--and just enough time for me to get into the YMCA for a workout before their 6pm closing time.
My dinner tonight (see tweet below) was the second time I've made the dish and it's immediately one of my favorites!
My Tweets Today:
A cool, rainy day with dark roast and sugar free hazelnut creamer. 2 cups, this & a refill soon. 60 cal. pic.twitter.com/6dM16Rcbll
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 2015Beef & cheese omelet. 3 whts/1 whl, 1 slice of swiss, provolone, mozz, 2oz 96% lean beef. Cantaloupe (204g). 440 cal. pic.twitter.com/cL9sliUnqe
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 20152 cups water with lunch. #wateraccountability pic.twitter.com/AgeGVJQbZm
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 2015Guac w/123g avocado & 15g light sr crm, salt-pepper, on lettuce. 28g tortilla chips, strawberries (220g). 432 cal. pic.twitter.com/BZ2EKC7D6Q
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 2015Workout time. 2 cup bottle refill. #watertracking pic.twitter.com/Kx2M3WAbEw
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 2015Feels good! 30 min, level 17. Post workout refill--2 cups. #watertracking #endorphinsflowing pic.twitter.com/AqL5StrARb
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 19, 20152 cups with dinner. #wateraccountability pic.twitter.com/XSrWx8J5xK
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 20, 20151.5 srv g-free penne pasta, 2 srv low cal alfredo, 1 srv peas & carrots, 3oz chicken brst. Grilled asparagus. 599 cal pic.twitter.com/acof42yGVh
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 20, 2015After dinner cup of dark roast w/sugar free hazelnut creamer. 30 cal. pic.twitter.com/WBXAnRKMAX
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 20, 2015And one more cup. Same cup, refill. ;) sf hazelnut. 30 cal.
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 20, 2015I'm super particular in selecting pears. I want juicy-ripe...this one is perfect! Anjou pear. #lastfoodofday 100 cal. pic.twitter.com/mNMc2vbzGs
— Sean Anderson (@SeanAAnderson) April 20, 2015Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean